As I’ve been traveling I’ve not been able to post very consistently and I’ve really dropped the ball on our One Word Fridays. Sorry about that.
Like I wrote the other day, it’s been a week of living back into real life. And part of that has been letting my heart and mind catch up with the rest of me. Doing a kind of Examen. Celebrating places of Life, and mourning places of Death.
The main thing that drives me to write this blog is the conviction that we don’t just drift into becoming more like Jesus. We have to pay attention. When we do, maybe we end up saying with Jacob, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.”
So…today I’m paying attention to the “patches of God-light” or instances from the past two months that shouted, “This is what it looks like to choose LIFE!”. Here are 6 of them:
1. Hospitality We had the delightful privilege of staying at the guest cottage belonging to some friends in Charlotte NC while we met with some mentors. We had dinner with our friends and some different topics of interest came up in our conversation. The next morning (one when rain was predicted), here’s what our hostess left outside our door. The books are about the topics we had discussed the night before.
Choosing life = paying attention to the way I can serve others.
2. Relationships A week in one of my favorite cities, reconnecting with friends in ministry at National Community Church and spending time with daughter Katy!
Choosing life = learning from everyone everywhere.
3. Travel in Israel/Palestine, Telos Conversations and at the International Justice Mission Global Prayer Gathering
Choosing life = partnering with God in His work of bringing justice around the world.
4. Creation Life emerging from death, even in Minnesota!
Choosing life = noticing the smallest gifts.
Choosing life = choosing to share life-giving words that build up rather than tear down.
|Bob Goff (@bobgoff)|
God doesn’t look for typos in our lives; He’s a creator, not an editor. We’re all rough drafts of who we’re becoming.
6. Random Acts of Kindness Twice in the past two months – once here and once in Florida, people have surprised us, paying for our dinner!
Choosing Life = looking for opportunities to delight others.